Thread: S8 Service
View Single Post
Old 16th November 2009, 06:26 PM
GMan

Default S8 Service

Hello all,

Well, I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for a bit of help.

About one week ago I became the proud owner of a 1998 D2 S8. The past week has seen me alienate most people within a 4 yard radius wherever I go as I dribble on about how good this car is. I've listed my previous cars below:

Rover 25 IL 2.0TD (2000)
Seat Leon Cupra Diesel 150BHP (2004)
Vauxhall Corsa Sxi 1.3TDi (2008)

So as good as the S8 is, you can see given my previous track record why the S8 blows me away! You can combine the BHP of all my previous cars and the S8 has more than all three put together. That either exposes more poor taste in previous cars or my great taste in my current car... but lets be honest, probably both.

I'm not just a power junkie, I was mesmorised by the S8 at a Birmingham roadshow when I was a kid and it gives an extra special feeling to finally be behind the wheel of one. The spec inside this 11yr old car outstrips most cars on the road. All in all I'm a very happy man.

I'm not sure how many S8s now have this, but mine was converted in 2007 to a BRC LPG system which works extremely well. This was serviced at the weekend and all is well, but this leads me to my question.

To put it simply, how do you service an S8? I'm pretty wet behind the ears when it comes to toying with cars but I'm itching to give it a crack. I'm not looking to tackle anything massive, but I am looking to change oil, change brake pads, change filters, look at suspension etc. I know there will be stuff I can't do right away but what I was hoping to do was give the S8 a minor service.

The only stuff I've done before it putting a ZR bumper on my Rover 25 and installing fog lights.

I've been reading posts on this forum recently and you guys really seem to know your onions, so I was hoing that you could point me in the right direction. I've looked and I couldn't see anything on a service:

- What comprises a minor service?
- What tools do I need?
- Are there any links you could send me to point me in the right direction on what I need to do?

For someone who is looking to be an amateur grease monkey is this the right way to go? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks in advance for this

George (budding grease monkey with a permanent smile!)