View Single Post
Old 28th July 2016, 08:51 PM

Thanks everyone. David, that's a really kind offer and I really appreciate it.

Mackie called me today and I'm afraid the news wasn't good. They told me it was one of two potential problems, and they didn't have enough data to decide between the two. The first is the gearbox controller at a cost of £4500. The second is a new gearbox at the cost of £9500.

I was speechless when they called, moreso because I was barrelling down the M1 in my hired Citroen at the time. I told them I'd call back tomorrow after I'd had some time to process the news. I asked if anything can be done to make the car driveable and they said they'd have a look but they doubt it.

Reading between the lines, I think that roughly means that they can't see anything mechanically wrong, but it won't stop doing it, so it must be software related.

The last two times the car went into a garage, it was noted that there was some kind of fluid leak under the car but it was difficult to say where it was coming from. Audi didn't find anything when they serviced it, so I told them about the previous reports and asked them to check thoroughly for leaks. They again told me there was nothing. I'm guessing the fluid that had leaked had become difficult to see and it was probably too low to leak any more. It must have been transmission fluid.

Tomorrow, I'll suggest it may be worth trying a switch back to LG6 oil. Considering the problem only happens when the gearbox is cold, my last hope of repair is that the software is mismatched with the oil.

If that doesn't work, it kills me even to type this, but I'm going to have to let her go. I love the car dearly, but we're in my fourth month of ownership. It's been at Audi for one of those months and I've spent Just shy of £5000 on it and it still wants more. Wow, this is the first car I've purchased in 16 years... It's a pretty convincing argument for taking the bike.

I apologise for the tone of this message. I'm feeling a little sorry for myself at the moment.

2008 Audi S8