View Single Post
Old 9th August 2019, 05:10 PM

Well the first one was at least partially my fault hitting the kerb, but I have hit other tyres a lot harder without any damage to tyres but have bent wheels and suspension, this time it was just a bit of scratch to the wheel. And these are the first 2 sidewall blowouts in my more than 20 year driving history.

Second one today I did not particularly hit anything, I was driving rather enthusiastically on gravel road, it did have some bumps and potholes but all smooth, no sharp edges. Got on the tarmac and it sounded a bit strange. Pulled over in the safe place after mile or so and tyre was almost flat. Could not see any major damage so hooked up compressor and started pumping in air, as the pressure got to 10 PSI I could hear air escaping and found the split. Not even a scratch to rim.

I have couple used sets lined up for tomorrow to go and have a look locally and to see if I can negotiate decent price as they are a bit more than I would like to pay. ContiSport 5 and Primacy 3. About the same price and normally I prefer Michelin but Contis are less age. Everything going well I should be on another set tomorrow and will have 3 tyres to put on ebay.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure