View Single Post
Old 20th July 2018, 06:43 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Blueeyes View Post
So, the latest.

After it sitting for a few hours I went to run it around the block and it immediately went into limp mode. It's parked up now and going nowhere until I can find out more so at least it's safe.

I have managed to find a mobile mechanic who has VCDS and he's coming Monday morning so I guess we will know more then. Dammit. 26 hours ago I had two perfectly working cars, now I have none! You have to laugh in all honesty, otherwise you'd go bonkers!

So the wait begins to discover whether the car will swallow £5000 of gearbox work in 6000 miles, assuming Mackies is what, £3k, at least? Plus I wonder how much it will cost me to get it up there?! I dunno how I will even manage that?!

I really do like to hope for the best but I have found, especially with cars, it's better to prepare for the worst!

Weekend plans all cancelled, Sussex trip will be humping suitcases and children on various trains with a potential £3k+ bill straight after.

Double dammit. There will be beer tonight, methinks!

I know exactly how you feel.

I had recently spent a small fortune on servicing and repairs when my gearbox started showing signs of failing a couple of years ago. I decided to bite the bullet, drop everything and head on up to Glasgow, carefully nursing the throttle all the way, hoping it'd last the journey. I'm a fair bit nearer to Glasgow than you are, but it was still a quite a trek, especially since I had to go there and back in a day; one way with a broken gearbox and the other in a sloooow courtesy car.

I posted about it here (inc. photos of the rebuild process): http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12203

Hopefully yours is just something simple, like the F125 switch!

Funnily enough, I had to rush my car over to the local garage again today because of a gearbox issue, so I'm back in a courtesy car for a few days ...

I've had a slight smell of oil in the cabin for a couple of days, which I though was just the breather valve (not a burning smell, just a warm oily smell), so I ordered a new valve. Today I went to a custom exhaust manufacturer to get measured up for a new exhaust (cats have been rattling badly lately). When we got it on the ramp we discovered the box was leaking transmission fluid quite badly!
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 20th July 2018 at 06:45 PM.