View Single Post
Old 28th January 2021, 03:47 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I used to repair TVs and monitors .... a loooong time ago. But they're pretty disposable these days. Even IF you can get hold of the service manuals, schematics and components, it'll almost always cost more in time than it's worth just to strip the thing down and rebuild it.

My guess would be some sort of video controller SMD IC has a 'dry' joint or two. You might be able to fix it if you can identify the offending IC and resolder it. If it's of the 'ball grid array' variety ('legless'), your best chance would be to 'reflow' the solder paste by carefully heating the IC, which requires a hot air gun (or sometimes putting the entire board in an oven *might* work. It might also destroy it of course if you get the timing/temperatures wrong).

Given than the fault is thermally related, probably the best way to identify the culprit would be with a can of 'freeze spray'.

My second guess would be a video controller ribbon cable connection. You could try waggling some internal cables or applying a little pressure to see if you can make the fault come and go.

If you haven't done so already, you could try Googling the model number to see if it's a common fault and whether anyone has posted an easy fix method.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 28th January 2021 at 03:49 PM.