View Single Post
Old 16th December 2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Back when I had my first D2 3.7 a colleague driving a mk1 Renault Laguna ran in to the back of it in stop-start motorway traffic. The Laguna was destroyed and had a D2-shaped void where it's bumper and radiator used to be and had to be towed away. My A8's bumper was scratched and the aluminium trim came off, but was otherwise unharmed
It's a big digression, but that reminded me of an unfortunate "event" in the late 1970s at the massive Shepherds Bush "Squareabout" when I was on my way to work.
A Fiat hatchback of some sort was in front of me at the Give Way line and drove off but then stopped for reasons I never did find out. I'd started just after him and was glancing to my right to check on traffic coming round and rear-ended him at full throttle though low speed so no-one was hurt.
His Fiat had a Triumph Dolomite shaped indentation right up to the back seat!
My Dolomite had a slight "ding" in the centre front below the badge between the two grilles and one of the underriders on the front bumper bent slightly back.
His car was a write-off, mine was totally driveable and cost very little to fix.
I don't know what 1970s Fiats were made of but if it was steel it was VERY thin!
(Before anyone asks, it wasn't a Sprint. 1850HL with overdrive. Tahiti Blue I think)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 16th December 2020 at 01:08 PM.