View Single Post
Old 29th February 2020, 02:58 AM

Before I go and buy that adapter I think that I will knock on the door acroos the road and see if they will let me use their power for a little while. At least I know I can scan the car with my old laptop as I have already done so to reset the service intervals on the S8 and clear some old codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
I haven't specifically tried VAG-Com with a USB/Serial adaptor, so I can't comment on whether it will work (although I see no reason why it shouldn't) but in my experience with customer (IT) equipment, adaptors with the Prolific chipset are the ones to look for (such as this). Some USB/serial adaptors don't work well with certain equipment (generally due to timing/delay issues). Prolific-based adaptors seem to play well with everything.
Thank you very much for that useful information. I hope that the ones that I have available to buy use that chipset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The FTDI chipset-based devices are an utter nightmare to get the drivers working. I would rather change a fuel pump and crank sensor than try and install one of these abominations.
Are you referring to the USB interfaced cables?

I have been using this cheap serial interface cable for years with good results. Admittedly, I have only really used it for basic things like resetting service intervals, scanning modules, output tests and basic readings. I use vwtool mostly, but have also got vagcom 409.1 and VCDS working with it.