View Single Post
Old 6th June 2019, 05:47 AM

Default Well well well. EML & MOT failure rules

I’ve learned something. Something big...

But first, a massive thank you to Delboy for clearing my codes and resetting my EML! Top bloke and you have a seriously gorgeous D3 S8 buddy! I wasn’t jealous at all...

As I previously explained - the lambda sensors were throwing a hissy-fit due to that crazy cat Goran and the crazy cats he had fitted (note: I’m being sarcastic with a hint of humour thrown in). World class HJS 100 cell cats mated to a full custom Hayward & Scott exhaust. It sounds absolutely epic and makes the old girl sound like a full-on NASCAR but caused the EML to illuminate (oh dear, I went all Wesley Snipes in Demolition Man there). “Illuminate...”

Knew about the recent changes to MOT rules regarding the EML so I just prayed it would stay off just long enough to get the old girl through. Journey back home from Delboy’s was fine. Next morning...arghhhhhhhhhh...damn light comes on just before I get to Halfrauds Autocentre

Here’s the interesting (and ironic) part: firstly, yes, the car *did* fail. But not on the EML! It was a split (or loose) CV rubber boot. That’s all. It turns out that it’s only a failure for petrol cars registered from 01 July 2003 onwards and diesel cars 01 July 2008 onwards only! My car is 2001 so the EML is just advisory. And, the emissions were *absolutely spot on*

Phew...and the MOT only cost a tenner

Last edited by Green Goblin; 6th June 2019 at 06:01 AM.