View Single Post
Old 13th February 2018, 10:35 AM

You are so smart, I would have never thought of that

For me it turned out more than 1 day's job, I thought I could get a shallow socket to undo the bolts at the rack, but quickly realised it would not fit. I have one of those gooseneck/offset spanners but that would not fit either. So I went on a stroll to halfords to get some spanners. Now I manage to loosen most of the bolts, but what almost finished me off was the two 10mm bolts in the rubber+steel clip holding the pipes close to the bulkhead so they dont wonder into the spring. Audi put this clip right behind the spring they are a pain to get to. Plus the rubber they go through makes them spring back when you try to unwind them half a turn.
For those bolts luckily I had a tiny 10mm spanner I bought from a pound shop for my rc planes. It did the trick because it could fit behind the spring and do a half turn on the bolt. Also a manual rubber flexi drive helped but its not great quality, it was almost not flexi enough. It helped speed up the bolt after it was already loose.
And by then it was dark so I left final removal and re-fitting of new pipes for another day. What a job!

I was thinking if anyone wants to torque up the rack bolts with a small torque wrench, something like this small crows foot might work.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flare-Nut...QINYNVRpEb4B6Q

I forgot to say, anyone attempting this job, you will need 22mm and 19mm wrenches and sockets. The bolt on the pump is 22mm, the bolts on the rack are 22mm and 19mm
And a tiny 10mm spanner for the bracket in the wheel well, a flexi drive will be useful too. And if like in my case your pump to reservoir pipe is blocking the other pump bolt you will need a 24mm socket to loosen and move that pipe out of the way.

Last edited by Goran; 13th February 2018 at 10:42 AM.