View Single Post
Old 26th April 2016, 08:58 PM

Default Returning to the Audi fold...

After having a 2008 W221 S Class for 6 months, I've returned to the Audi fold. My previous vehicles have included a Mark 1 Audi TT convertible, a couple of C6 S6's (one saloon and one avant), a couple of Range Rovers (Full Fat and Sport) and a 996 C4S (and an Alfa 147 to go alongside it for day to day duties).

Although the S Class was a great car, I missed the Audi brand. The sure-footedness of the quattro system, the great build quality of the interiors and the performance.

I had a look at D4 A8's a couple of years ago and they were still out of my budget.

My more recent foray into the market showed that more cars had come onto the market and the older cars were now within budget. I live in Manchester city centre and also work in the city centre too so do minimal mileage. Approximately 5,000 miles a year if that. This led me to consider a petrol option as map wouldn't be a major concern to me. Also, there would be less of a worry about DPF's and EGR's to go wrong.

About a month ago I saw the car at a trader local to me. I went to see it and the trade in value he gave me for the S Class was obviously lower than I expected. Can't knock him though as everyone needs to earn a crust. I decided to sell my car privately and then made him an offer on the A8 as a cash deal which secured me a better price.

Anyway, here are the pics...

It's a 2011 SE Exec 3.0 TFSI. Love the engine however I would have preferred the shove of a turbo rather than the linear power delivery of the supercharger. Had it a week and absolutely love it.

Going forwards, I'm getting a few bits done in gloss black tomorrow. I'm taking a few styling cues from the new S8 Plus. It might look good or it might look a bit iffy. I'll update the thread with new pics tomorrow hopefully.