View Single Post
Old 20th October 2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
When you drive in D, when does the gearbox shifts up, around 1500-1600rpms??
If it's as above, which is the result of being very gentle with the throttle, I would say to not worry, unless you can record it so we can have a batter look at it.
The reason I'm saying it is because the way gearbox adapts to your driving.
As you may have noticed, at least that is the case with my 8, when I'm gentle with the throttle in D, the 5th gear is already selected @ 35mph.
If you continue cruising and being gentle with the throttle you will find the box to not be so keen on downshifting so easily unless you press it a bit harder.

If I floor the throttle in D for few minutes or miles, gearbox will instantly start shifting gears a bit higher even after being gently with the throttle again.
Same as in S, gearbox wont shift up a gear below 3000rpms while being gentle with the throttle (unless its from 1st to 2nd), But as soon you start pushing the car harder, box wont change the gears at around 3000rpms, it will do it around 4000rpms or even higher.

Basically, when you are gentle on the throttle in D, gearbox isn't so keen on shifting the gears down so much. Shifting up yeah, it will take you up to the 6th gear before you even go over 40mph.

Plus if there is no knocks, clunking, slips, hard shifting or wining noise then driving style is what I would say it is, but I may be wrong.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten