Thread: Which oil spec?
View Single Post
Old 7th September 2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
Does to me. I've done that in the past, but I've never used a chemical flush.

Quantum Longlife III 5W30 is VW 504.00/507.00 - newer spec

Quantum Platinum 5w40 is VW 502.00/505.00

The newer spec was developed for PD diesel engines to protect and avoid camshaft wear, and as it's longlife it is a quality oil. Obviously do oil changes 5k or twice a year for best protection. Just to add 502 & 504 refer to petrol engines, and 505 & 507 to diesel.

The next question you have is the oil weight. Are you just concerned because it's a higher mileage or have you noticed some consumption?
Morning Matt
There is no issue with consumption. I think in 4000 miles I've done so far I've topped the engine oil up only once - 250-300ml IIRC.
Done the compression test on each cylinder when I got her and it's between 11.75-12.25 bar across all the cylinders.
It is mainly mileage - I'm sure I don't have to remind you how unnecessarily an@l I can be
Plus it's me doing it now for the first time so I want to do it right and learn a bit as well at the same time - lesson 1: don't be a mug and don't spent extra on Castrol, just buy Quantum (tick)

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten