View Single Post
Old 18th August 2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Interesting, but a bit too intrusive for my taste.

The 'mod' I do with my rear lights is I polish out all letterings/messages on them (3M 600 sandpaper with water and then Meguiars PlastX polishing compound). Afther this process lights surface become absolutely smooth, don't collect dust and nice to touch and to wash. I understand this can be illegal, but i've passed a couple of MOTs so far without any problem.
Intrusive certainly doesn't bother me in the least. Here's my Camaro in a during and then after photo of the restoration process:

I've done something similar to what you're saying as well on the taillights on my Scirocco 2. As you may well know, they have ridges in the outside lens, so I sanded those off, then sanded to a fine texture, then sprayed the complete housing with HOK Candy red (it is a transparent red that matches OE rear light color quite nicely). This tinted the turn signal as well, which was my desired look. I don't have any photos of that right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Interesting mod - partly from a point of view of understanding how newer LED lamps are put together and partly because this is looking like the closest when complete to how the original lenses were lit (I've seen a few others where the completed lighting looks quite different shape wise.

Thanks for documenting, following with interest!
I've seen the Russian setup On YouTube, like the concept, hate the execution. I want something effective, but understated and elegant, like the D2 itself. I think the newer Audi taillight designs are rubbish. Here in the US we'd compare them to what is available on eBay. Basically, I'm fighting to put modern tech into the D2 shape. I'd do much the same in an e38 BMW. classic designs, elegant, not frumpy and over-designed.