Thread: Upsizing brakes
View Single Post
Old 6th November 2014, 06:52 PM

The winter is getting closer and I changed to winter wheels a couple of days ago. Was thinking to change the brakes at the same time, but decided I couldn't wait any longer. The discs took about three weeks to arrive and they are now just being painted as they where untreated. Didn't want them to rust immediately. Calipers and carriers has been painted earlier.

While changing wheels, I used the opportunity to try the big carrier and caliper on as a test to see if it would fit together with the 18" winter rims.

Along the way I took some pictures.
First one showing the 19" summer wheel and my small brakes.

Then a couple showing the bigger carrier and caliper together with the small disc.

And then one with the 19" wheel. Added a light in the front so the gap would appear better.

And last but not least, the big question, will it all fit with my 18" wheel?

And the answer is YES, and with bigger margin than I thought it would. Not that the gap is big, but I was actually more than 50% sure that it wouldn't be any room at all.

Will let the discs dry for some more days before putting it all together.

Then I learned from the good people at Audiworld that there is different coding in the ABS/ESP for different brake sizes, engine sizes and even short or long wheel base.

I guess there are many here who have done changes to their cars brakes, so the question is, have any of you done any coding to the ABS/ESP module to make sure the car, and the brakes, behave consistently in a critical situation?