View Single Post
Old 9th January 2021, 08:39 AM

I'm re-using the front pressure pipe, as that is the complicated bit and is normally recoverable. All it takes is to remove the old rusted union and then soak it in evaporust for a few days to clean it. Thus far I haven't found one of these which is not recoverable yet (done 4), but it is concievable that one may be too rusty to get back. In that case we have a plan to rebuild the hose, similar to spectrum but with crimps instead of olive fittings. We'll investigate that further if necessary.

The rear pressure hose is using the original rack end, but with new hose crimped on to it, and a 90 degree DIN 7631 M16 fitting crimped on the end of that, to join to the original front pressure hose. As we've replaced the hard line over the exhaust downpipe with hose, that's covered in some heat resistant sleeve to protect the hose.

The return line is just re-crimped with O-clamps as that is low pressure and its only the crimps which fail.

My process is entirely dependent on certain parts of the original hoses being intact hence why I'm doing them on exchange, but so is Spectrum's. Mine keeps more of the original construction intact though, and I certainly consider it a permanent solution within the remaining lifespan of the cars. I currently do have a slight issue sourcing the DIN 7631 fittings, as they are an old standard, but someone must make new ones for old equipment. If not though, we can make an adapter from old to new standards and just carry on with the same technique.