View Single Post
Old 9th November 2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
255/30 21 would work on the same width, but they ain't cheap at more than £250 a corner for something decent.

Why 21s, most go for 20s on the D3 as larger especially with lowering links will give you a crash harsh ride with unpredictable handling.

The QS is already lowered 25mm compared to standard, and the lower you go the harder the suspension gets regardless of MMI setting. If you go to low then you run the risk of bottoming out the suspension especially in dynamic mode.
Thanks for your reply Mannyo, I was playing about on the "wiiltheyfit.com" website and managed to get the same rolling circumference on some of the inputted tyre sizes I entered, I think the 255/30/21's was one of them so realised that the exact same rolling circumference would not hinder the car at all over the way it is now, but basically wanted to lose the height to get rid of the large gaps between wheel and arch by using one of the suspension methods. Secondly I was looking at the various offsets offered in the 5x112x 21" wheels offered on the likes of eBay and noticed that the offset of my et52 going to an et25 would push the wheel another 22mm closer towards the lip of the arch without using spacers so that it would look flush looking down the length of the car, and giving it a better overall look with the larger wheels.

I wasn't aware that the Quattro Sport was a full inch lower that the non sport versions, I was just looking at the gap I could see and other images of cars I've seen lowered and wanted to get rid of the gap and following others on here who've made their D3's look awesome for the sake of a small amount of drop on their suspension.

I'm also a ware of tyre prices for unfamiliar and less popular profiles, but having a mate who owns a tyre fitting chain down in Cornwall I get a hefty discount on tyres so price wouldn't be something I would really consider when buying 21's for my Audi, it's the look that I'm after most of all... Black Car, Black Tints, 4 Digit Number Plate... I wanted a stand out, wow sort of Car which in the Posh area I live you need to buy some serious cars to fit in and I have the D3 which is an Audi A8 so has pedigree, I just need a touch or two in the right place to make it turn the heads of the others living here who have a couple of £50k cars each.

on the 255/30/21's that you have suggested which is what I was looking at myself, what J width of alloy would I best to look for and also the ET offset to give me the flush look to the arch with out overstretching the tyre. (Overstretching tyres I don't consider safe at high cornering speeds, plus I don't like the look of it when over done)

Regards,

Mark.

Model: MY 2008 08 3.0TDI Quattro Sport, Black on Black (Transporter Edition) Lowered 60mm on drop link bars. Alloys swapped out to RS6 style 20" x 9.5". It's got full tints on all windows, and has the black leather interior. Remapped by Elite Automotive in Cornwall, giving an increase output to 290bhp/450lbs.

Options: Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth Hands Free, Quad Zone Climate, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons.

Future Plans:
Selling my current Audi A8 Quattro Sport and replace is with a newer D4 Audi A8L with the 4.2V8 Twin Turbo setup once again it must be black. I'm looking for one with the options added where it has the rear recliing seats, with heated outers. Bose speakers minimum and B&O's if affordable. Rear and back door sun blinds prefered.

Planned Mods:
Upon the arrival of my A8L D4, I will be once again having the ECU remapped to a performance setting over economy. Rear Tints as dark as can go whilst also tinting the front windows with a medium tint. Once again I will be purchasing lowering links for the air ride suspension and setting it at 55mm lower when in comfort as my desire rideheight over standard. Alloys will be 21" however the one current most likly to be the next car already has a brand new set of 2016 S8Plus wheels on it.

My Business: "The Transporter - Cornwall" find us on Facebook or download the Smart phone application by clicking the link below. http://TheTransporter.appsme.com