View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:22 AM

Default Write up

Parts used:
4H0 419 091 AF – Heated wheel, 3 spoke
4H0953568B – Slip ring
4H0953551A - Button
8K0 973 754 – Plug (Slip ring connection)
000 979 009 EA – Repair wire

Optional but well worthwhile:
8V0951523XHA – RS7 Paddles

What I did:
Remove the battery with the ignition turned on – supposed to minimise risk of accidental airbag activation.

Remove airbag – with a screwdriver release two “catches” at 3 and 9 on the rear of the steering wheel (will be obvious when you look at your replacement wheel. Disconnect the wiring.

Centre the wheel to help with re-alignment - Remove the large bolt that holds the wheel in place and pull the old wheel off the spline.

Remove the upper and lower cowls (three screws for the lower).

Remove the small torx screw that holds the slip ring in place, disconnect the wiring and unclip the steering ring.

You need an additional wire from the steering control button to the slip ring, use the repair wire which connects into the existing plug at the button and into the new plug for the slip ring (where it will be the only connection). I wrapped this in cloth tape and routed along the existing loom.

Install the new slip ring, re-connect the wiring.

Change the steering control switch, two screws.

Re-attach the cowlings.

Optional – replace the paddles on the wheel, remove the plastic facia (just pulls off) to access one torx screw per paddle, the wiring is tight so be careful but they just swap right over.

Install the wheel ensuring correct alignment (i.e. straight if that is where you started).

Connect the heating wiring to the slip ring, re-install the airbag (wiring first then just push into place).

Re-connect the battery.

Change fuse 8 in carrier B (brown) in the driver’s side dash panel from a 5A to a 10A.

Turn on the ignition, expect some warning lights! Plug in VCDS and check for error codes, you will need to re-calibrate the Steering Angle Sensor and possibly the Dynamic Steering if installed. Ross-tech have guides to do this.
Re-code modules 08 and 16 to tick the “Heated Wheel” option.

Change the default temperature of the wheel, go to module 16 (steering wheel), adaptation and select channel 10 – default is 28 (degrees C), I upped mine to 36!

Check everything works, wait for a cold day and bask in the warmth from the heated wheel

Photo of the finished article – when I did this originally I kept the original paddles, but I think the RS7 ones make a massive difference to the look and feel and help me remember the change for the 10 months a year I don’t want warm hands!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161226_133426_resized.jpg
Views:	3195
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	15541