View Single Post
Old 16th February 2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
You could also take the gubbins out of the cig lighter adapter and just wrap it up in tape. They're usually only the size of a large stamp. That's how my fixed phone charger bracket runs in my A6

Without following all the tracks, I'd say some of the surplus lamps in your diagram are probably for switches, rather than bulbs you can get to.

Elsawin implies that the mirror has to come off before that trim will move. Its not very clear on how though - "use screwdriver to lever out interior mirror on left side between mounting plate and mirror base"
Yes this is a good idea. Looks like I may have to take apart the adapter for another reason anyway. The mini-usb plug is too large to squeeze past the reading lights surround trim and the roof lining. I'll have to chop the wire off, which should be able to feed through, then re-solder it to the regulator inside the cig lighter type housing.

I actually have a spare brand new roof surround trim so now I can see that where I was originally trying to squeeze the mini-usb through it was hitting solid plastic. I still can't figure out whats holding the surround trim on so tightly even with bolts removed. it doesn't actually touch the mirror arm at all, once the little square mirror trim is dislodged the rest of the surround should be able to move.
On my spare trim it is made up of two pieces sandwiched together loosely with lots of plastic tabs that protrude through the top layer. Looks like the roof fabric is sandwiched between these two, I hope they are not plastic-welded together pinching the roof liner permanently.

This is all probably not making much sense without pictures. Its too dark now but when I get a chance I will take some photos.

Yes, perhaps I should have just gone for a connection which is ignition switched. I thought it would be cool to be able to switch the camera on/off with a button, and I like the red led on the regulator indicating its on (I have an idea how to make this light visible). I never use the mirror reading lights, plus I thought routing the cable would be easier and more hidden from that location.

Space wise, there is a ton of space in the roof so that's no problem at all. Just trying to find the most invisible way to push the cable and plug through is proving a bit tricky.

If anyone has removed the mirror/lights plastic surround non-destructively please tell me your tips. The bolts alone don't even budge it.

Jim thanks for the rubber covered needle pliers tip for the mini bulbs in the mirror, I'll give that a try.

Last edited by Goran; 16th February 2016 at 08:01 PM.