Thread: D2 vs D4
View Single Post
Old 6th January 2011, 03:12 AM

its an A8 SE Exec 4.2 Tdi Quattro - 346 BHP with 8 speed tiptronic. the gearbox has 3 modes - drive, sport and manual - I was frankly wondering about the 8 speed box and the point of that many gears but you really don't notice the changes and the revs would only be at something like 1500 rpm in 8th gear if you were doing 90 on the autobahn etc (ahem). 0-60 is 5.5 secs which is properly quick for such a big car but the torque is massive at 800 Nm vs 445 for the 4.2 fsi engine and maximum torque is at between 1750 and 2750 rpm!

The 4.2 Tdi also gets the sport differential as standard and this car has 19" 10 spoke Y design wheels, adaptive headlights, advanced key and parking, Bose, Ambient lighting, mobile prep high with online services bluetooth and cordless car phone in centre armrest and Electric side and rear window blinds plus rear climate and heated seats, homelink garage door opener, power boot lid, 6 disc dvd changer in glovebox etc etc

I suppose my biggest impression has been the sheer size of the car - when not next to anything it looks fairly innocuous and bland but when you see it next to other cars its wide, quite high and just HUGE lol

From a driving point of view the turbo lag occasionally catches the gearbox out which then can lurch slightly when it does cut in but its more about getting used to driving in a style that suits a diesel etc

I'm also impressed by the fact that it doesn't feel huge to drive and that its such a nice place to be behind the wheel.

More pics to follow . . . . .

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 6th January 2011 at 03:40 AM.