View Single Post
Old 26th June 2017, 02:28 AM

I have the same engine/gearbox combo and experience the same issues, I always put it down to character of car, it's fine when driven hard but when driven gingerly it behaves odd. I thought it could be MAF giving wrong readings and therefor affecting load calculations but the measuring blocks seem to OK. I might still change it if I can get one cheaply. It seems too choose wrong gear sometimes and to lock/unlock torque converter at the wrong times. Mine has never had oil change and I never thought this was oil related but I might change oil and filter this summer because gearbox has started whining when cold after some abuse which saw gearbox temps raise above 120C. I don't expect it to cure odd behaviour but we will see. As for the whining on mine I also had similar problem in A6 around 2003 where after some rally kind of abuse weekend on private roads in woods it started whining, then couple of months later got stuck in safe mode. Took it to garage, it turned out the safe mode was due to poor connection somewhere under dash but they also changed oil and cleaned filter as they said oil was very burnt, a bit low on level and filter clogged with wear particles, it was better than ever after that with whining disappeared.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure