Thread: chrome cleaning
View Single Post
Old 24th July 2010, 10:05 PM
alefustec

Default milky trim now very shiny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefustec View Post
I have just picked up this thread after being pointed to it by the 'librarian' as I am trying to solve the same problem. How did this turn out darrenjoe90?
I know I didn't hear how it went for darrenjoe90, but i have continued to persevere and try and solve this problem........so after trying a number of polishing compounds and lots of elbow grease (without any noticeable difference) i bit the bullet and got the wet and dry out.

I couldn't figure out how to get the trim off the car, so instead masked everything up (3 layers for saftey!) and started off with a 1000 grade - no luck removing the lacquer so moved down to a 600...better but took about 30 mins to get all the lacquer off a section about 3 inches long - so down to a 350, and now we are talking. Now I'm not saying it was easy, but I was able to strip all the lacquer back on the section around all the windows (roof line and under windows) in about 1 hour. This left it quite keyed so went back over the lot with the 600, followed by the 1000, then onto some autoglym metal polish and after 2 hours hey presto, no more milky spots just very nice shiny trim!.

I am really pleased with the results and now need to tackle the passenger side before moving onto the lower trims etc