View Single Post
Old 18th March 2018, 11:04 AM

That's the slowest of 2 they have announced but they just keep announcing new miners but have still to ship any. Their first miner T1 or I think it was called T16 at the start was supposed to ship beginning of March but nobody has received any yet so it remains to be seen if they can deliver.

As for Eth miner I understand it would be quite expensive to create ASIC because you need at least 4GB RAM for DAG file and realistically 8GB for futureproofing. You cannot just connect hundreds of ASIC chips to that memory because couple chips would consume the available bandwith. So really you will need like 100 lots of 8GB which would be 800 8Gb memory chips. With the memory shortage and rising prices memory alone would cost $7-10k, add on other costs, R&D and profit margin you would be looking at least $20k for a miner that does hashrate of 100x RX580 cards. It's not too bad considering that 100 cards would cost more than $30k. But who would buy such a miner with Ethereum set to change from PoW to PoS. So unless cheaper, faster memory becomes available I do not see it happening.

There are some custom miners for Eth like Antminer G1 and G2 but they are not ASICS, it's just a custom motherboard using low power mobile PC components and 8x RX570 or GTX1060 cards in it.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure