Thread: Brake Pads ...
View Single Post
Old 27th January 2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
With that much tread it will be fine, however it's always a good plan in general to put new tyres on the back if replacing in pairs as they get less load through them and bed in better on the back as they're not getting scrubbed through steering whilst they're still soft.

When you then swap to the front they will last longer. Usually with Quattro if you rotate the tyres once half way through their life all 4 wear out at the same time anyway.

The safety argument above is correct - better for handling balance under braking but if an older tyre were to fail it's better off on the front so you get understeer rather than oversteer with a flat.
Hmm ... Maybe will take it back in and swap the fronts for rears!

I did ask the dealer which end wears the fastest and was told it was the front end. By the way, you may think that is an obvious observation, but I had a Honda Civic Hybrid and it was front wheel drive, but the rear tyres wore much more than the fronts!

Very much agreed on the swapping fronts for backs at half life. I'm a fan of doing all four tyres at once. It's a bit painfull getting the big bill, but it saves money and is safer over the long run as you can choose your brand/type of tyre.

Also it gives you a chance to rebalance and check your tracking, twice over the life of the tyres, never a bad thing.