View Single Post
Old 10th May 2017, 10:57 PM

Yes , ac generation sensor ....faster speed means more signal amplitude , I have not seen any voltage clipping with ac sensors but not to say that it does not excist .You can test across pins of crank sensor for ohmage and test to earth shielding but these test donot prove what ac voltage it will generate .

You can use a multi meter set on ac volts and test but I use scope as it gives a much clearer picture and shows missing tooth segment and shows any interference and signal anomalies much better .....but obviously you need a scope to do this .

You say car starts well from cold ......you could summise this will be the slowest cranking speed of any start ups , you would think that warm start ups would be faster cranking speed but get this is were your fault is ..... very typical issue for crank sensors . With vcds you could look at what cranking speed is and you could see if there is a data block for crank / cam synchronisation to see if it shows yes /no whilst cranking .

The orginal sensor most likely will be a Bosch one , even though you can buy a Bosch sensor in the aftermarket as I said before there is to many copy parts and Chinese copy's floating around ..... I would only use genuine and pay the extra cost for the quality .....it allows you to move on in the diagnostic pathway testing without questioning ...." Is that sensor definatley good "

I have been caught out in the past fitting OE after market sensors only after hours and hours further testing and going over everything again only to find the genuine sensor fixes it first time