View Single Post
Old 5th November 2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post

Yes you can get Sodium Hydroxide drain cleaner here. some have recommended it for cleaning the drains in the scuttle (probably called something different in USA ) but I am not sure I want it near paintwork even under the bonnet(hood) as is (obviously) caustic. By the way, how did the coffee taste?
Coffee was fine; in fact the reason I researched how to treat the "raw" aluminum (aluminium* to you guys) was prevent any metallic taste - before I cleaned the 100-year-old pot, which had a layer of mineral buildup in the bottom (remember a moka pot boils dry each time)nothing would (chemicallly) touch.

I don't know what the US equivalent of "scuttle" is ("Sump?) however I do know what the word means, but I know VWs and Audis have a definite problem with their (scuttle) drainage!

*My wife is from Germany, moved to the US when she was 13; when I met her 20-odd years ago, she could not say the Al word either way; especially funny since she has two Masters' degrees - and one is biology! (A good old science joke here is to have someone say "aluminum" ten times as though it were a tongue-twister, then ask them what a tin can is made of)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Aluminium and Caustic soda is a VERY VERY BAD IDEA! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdRrZH3M5O0
You are correct, sir; as I said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aTOMic View Post
...it requires full protective gear... ...and I actually heed warnings to the point of buying a $90 respirator w/ organic vapor filter for this job. Along with industrial rubber sleeve gloves, face shield, etc.. ...
In any case I have misunderstood the question - OP is talking about the plastic strips, and I was thinking of the removable window trim that is worn-looking on so many of our cars. I have always wondered how they chrome-plate plastic (assuming they do). There was an episode of "How It's Made" (Canadian TV series) which detailed the process IIRC.

Last edited by aTOMic; 5th November 2016 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Grammar, info added, clarity, etc.. OK?