Thread: Manual swap a8L
View Single Post
Old 20th February 2022, 06:14 PM

Here is a link to the same gearbox that is in the car in looking at https://www.bildelsbasen.se/en-se/pb...67/01E300048CX Code is EHW seller says its 6 speed and when looking up the reg on databases they list it as 6 speed so I think this is correct that’s to bad about the diff but sourcing one of those cheap should be no issue. I assume it would have to come from a manual? I have a tig welder and some skills so I think I will be extending the driveshaft myself and having my machine shop balance it. Interesting to hear about the rpm on highway and I think that would be great for my driving style. That TTV flywheel sounds pretty good and I think i will use that any noise issues with the single mass design? Also do you know what they cost? Couldn't see price on on their website. I have the tools to tune most Audi’s and maybe a custom map could be made to make it work? I would prefer not having to swap the s8 stuff over since that sounds expensive but have not looked in to it yet or would it increase engine performance? If I’m gaining hp that would be a different case

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Are you sure its a 6-speed? According to the data and my experience the B5 1.9 TDI is a 5-speed 01A. The 01E only came with the 2.5TDI in the B5. It wasn't paired with a 1.9 until the C5 and B6 with the PD130. Also the B5 diff is different to the D2. The ideal donor is the A6 C5 2.5TDI, or possibly a B6 1.9TDI although they have odd output flanges.

I've done a swap in an S8 with a TDI 01E and its ok, not great. 6th is just a bit too high, meaning it does about 1600rpm on the motorway and while that is great for fuel consumption, having to change down to accelerate gets tedious.

You would have to have your propshaft extended since there is no LWB manual from the factory. In theory you could bolt the front of a manual shaft on to the back of a LWB shaft, but manual shafts are extremely rare. Easier to extend it if you can find someone capable of doing it.

S4 stuff does work, but you'll need the spacer between engine and gearbox which will also impact the propshaft. TTV Racing in the UK make a flywheel to take a B5 RS4 clutch which doesn't need the spacer - that's what I've used in the past, and the RS4 clutch is quite cheap. Get the heavy flywheel if you go this route.

The only other thing to bear in mind is that you'll need an S8 manual map in the ECU since there is no manual map for the A8 4.2. This means also swapping to the S8 inlet manifold and throttle body, injectors, and airflow meter so the ECU knows what is going on.

D2 A8L 4.2 AQF 4.2 LZ9W Ebony Black Pearl Fully electric rear seats 20x9.5 OEM peelers D3 s8 front brakes s8 mirror housings 18x8 Avus 3 winter wheels PDC rear blinds Nav Electric steering wheel adjustment rs6 MFSW heated with shift buttons TPMS Leather pack 1 with retrofitted stitched leather lower dash panels folding auto dimming mirrors solar sunroof cold weather package CD changer 2x12 subwoofers double glazing all around memory seats passenger seat adjustment from rear seat Bose servotronic xenon plus headlights

C5 Allroad 4.2 BAS 4.2 LZ6G Irish Green Metallic Bose RNS-E Rear Blinds folding auto dimming mirrors Heated MFSW with shift buttons PDC Recaros heated seats all around CD changer Nav

B5 A4 STCC Edition AJL 1.8T Quattro Built engine GT28RS maxxecu Remote locking Trip computer Sport seats Eibach/Bilstein suspension Flexfuel

C5 A6 1.8T Quattro AWT 1.8T Reliable, unlike the others

Previous Audis B7 S4 Avant B5 A4 Avant 1.8T B8 A5 SB 3.0tdi C5 A6 1.8T C5 Allroad 2.5 TDI

Last edited by Fredde; 20th February 2022 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Stupid swedish autocorrect