View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHefner View Post
Awesome, so we have a hydraulics man on-board? I take it with your industry you're aware of the story of the film Jaws, and how the sea water killed the rig Shark and how the film ended up being the way it was! Less shark that they first wrote and wanted but due to it always being faulty when ever it went in salt water! foolishly on their part they'd built in pool and did the testing there giving the OK for productions to start the 78 alleged days of filming... however the production went on a further 13 months to allow for the fixing of the underwater shark for the filming!

I assume the industry has come along way since then? You say 4,000 metres down. The Titanic is 2.2 miles down so the machines that you build would be OK for that but near to the edge of the ability depth wise.

Regards, Mark.
I never did hear that story about Jaws, but yes the subsea industry has moved forward since then.

The biggest issue is the pressure at depth. Usually electrical connectors leak and cause problems, on the systems we use most of the electrical cables are oil filled to prevent issues, but it still fails from time to time.

The Titanic is certainley within reach or the machines I operate but unlikey to happen.

This is what we normally do.