View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:29 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I've been researching it, on and off, for years, trying to find a solution or find someone who can re-anodise the aluminium mirrors and trim. I think I MAY have found someone (just recently) but I'm waiting to hear back about a sample piece of trim I gave them to restore and re-anodise for me.

You can just remove the anodised layer (either chemically, using caustic soda, or mechanically, with a lot of sanding and polishing) and then polish the aluminium to get whatever finish you prefer. However, unprotected, the aluminium will quickly tarnish and will need to be frequently repolished. You could use a protective lacquer but, if the surface is highly polished, most lacquers won't properly adhere I believe. I did find a clear lacquer that seemed suitable for the job, made by POR 15. It used to be called 'Glisten PC' but now it seems to be referred to as POR15 2K clear. I'm yet to try it but they claim it's extremely hard-wearing and can adhere to highly polished surfaces. If my efforts to get the trim re-anodised fail, I may go down the polish and lacquer route myself.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 23rd April 2019 at 12:32 PM.