View Single Post
Old 27th January 2022, 11:49 AM

I'm TERRIBLE at selling things....I tend to find it a lot of hassle for not much reward. Here's a history:

Mini - A racing green and white cooper-esq thing. It had mostly been replaced and modified. 1340 with rebore, buckets and harnesses. Cost me £800. The heater may have been original. RNX872F - Stolen as a student, i'd owned it maybe 8 weeks. I'd just replaced the exhaust and still had to pay for it on the credit card. 3rd Party only

Mini - A cheap £325 white basic 1l from a mechanic in the wolds. 2 days after owning, 3 days after the MOT it bit a 106. I was 1st gear, handbrake on and no where to go coming down a hill only a mile from my home. 106 was turning right and the lady said she saw the fear on my face! The rivets on the pads were scoring the drums
Insurance repaired hers, mine always had a winking headlight from trying to repair myself. Year later i painted it up with fangs and eyeliner for a goth event which made it look better
Rusted out and scrapped after becoming uneconomical to do much with!

BMW 316i Sport Compact - Technoviolet - Was BMWs own rip on an M3. Looked great from the front, odd from the back. Only car i bought on a car loan. Cost about £12k kept for 5-6yrs sold for £850 via ebay.
I TOTALLY regret selling it!

FL D2 S8 - LPG and ran for about 4yrs, put a good 100k on it. Probably my best car. Cost £5k and certainly didn't owe me anything. Timing went out, rods into pistons. Never touched the gearbox despite 230k on it. Sold cheap to someone for scrap/parts

PF D2 S8 - Picked up off here for about £1800. Had gearbox work, but it threw a fault maybe 6 months later. Tried all sorts, swapping bits from the FL one, but never could get going. Sold on here for the engine to go in another project

Early Mk1 Smart car - Dead alternator from the dealer, went back 2 days later for them to fix, took 6 months and kicking to sort. Sold a year or two later. Was bought when trying to fix the S8's

Later M1 Smart Brabus - Still got. Due to the probs with the other smart, i saw this and went wow. It's a pocket rocket, capable of over 100mph but rear wheel, rear engine and a bit scary in the wet!

Vauxhaul Eaglequest Hearse - Bought off a friend along with the jeep for £700 the pair. Had been converted into a kind of limo inside. Absolutely silly vehicle, but with 70k drove impressively well. Alas MOT issues, despite being built on chassis rails it had superficial rust which i could never get through the MOT so was a drive way ornament for a few years. Sold cheap

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee - LPG. Surprisingly fun to drive. Straight 6, 4l but more torque than power. Keeps passing MOTs and is reasonable to run. Did a post apocalyptic rust paint make-over during lockdown. Makes a good support vehicle and is great when doing stuff on other things!

Early RX8 - 1 owner, pretty blue, bought sans mot. Engine swapped by Mazda at ~50k (folder of paperwork). Amazing handling for silly budget price. Does need a bit of looking after to get the best from, but so long as you keep to the rules, it's been really reliable and fun. Still got, should MOT and get back on the road - It needed a new cat which is now done.

PF D3 4.2 sport petrol - LPG - Current daily. Bought £4500. Not a looker but nice and reliable. Probably done 80k in it over ~5yrs and is pretty solid and reliable.
I do wonder about replacing, but it's such a comfy cruiser and the LPG is good. I did look at a D3 S8 a few times and have almost moved, but it's 90% the same car and these days i'm more eco friendly and can't justify the V10, so keep getting tempted with a Tesla, probably an older Model S as despite a Cybertruck deposit i'm not sure if it'll make the UK and there's the when......

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)