View Single Post
Old 20th December 2018, 08:54 PM

Default Anybody have front crank oil seal tools?

Hi,

My ongoing drip-drip oil leak from the front of my 4.2 FSi (BVJ) turned into a full-on Exxon Valdez spill this morning. I've ordered up a new front crank oil seal from Audi ahead of the weekend, when I'll be able to get her up on a lift to see where the leak is actually coming from, in the hope that the problem is this 'simple'.

It's been so minimal up until now that I've not been able to find the source of the leak, instead just putting up with it. I'm kind of hoping now that it's really bad I'll be able to see exactly where it's coming from. At £20 the front crank oil seal seems like a small investment worth making for now in case it sorts it.

I am of course worried that it's actually the upper sump which is leaking . . . . Full engine removal job. The rear crank oil seal was so brittle 2 years ago when I pulled the engine for timing chain work that I'm living in hope that the front one is the source of my issue. Ever the optimist. (I replaced the oil filter housing 'figure-of-eight' seal up top 2 years ago and the leak is on the driver's side rather than the passenger side - so I am assuming for now that this isn't the problem) (can't believe I didn't do the front seal at the time. Benefit of hindsight)

I'm wondering if anyone has the following tools available for borrow / rent. I'm happy to pay a returnable deposit on top as I know these are pretty expensive - T40019 & T40048 - I think these mean that the crank seal can be replaced with the radiator etc in situ. Otherwise it's full front end off to give access to gently hammer on using an appropriately sized socket etc.

See attached image of required tools.

Thanks all,

Gregor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tools T40019 T40048.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	20554  

2009 A8 4.2 FSi LWB - Marine Blue - 164k miles. Extras? Too many to list. But I do like the Rear Seat Entertainment . . . . . .

477k miles to the moon and back. 238k to go and between them they'll have made it!