View Single Post
Old 29th November 2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B@fink View Post
Interesting seeing the difference between the years.

But looking at your pictures that could be because the down pipe has no supporting mount (like yours has after the cat) and a flexible pipe at the manifold joint so it moves more and pulls the pipe joint.
The 'U's were a later 'addition', the original setup had flanges that were shot through so it was decided at the time of fitting that the best course was to cut and connect with U Joints. Not my best decision. There is a mounting point adjacent to the gearbox support on each side for the downpipes. I am now replacing the downpipes (as there was no cat stuff inside them) with units sourced from BM Catalysts as originals seem to be as rare as rocking horse doodoo.

Now it leads me on to another question. On fitting the new cat/downpipe I have noticed there is only approx 10mm clearance between the pipe and the epdm cover of the gearbox support mount, as picture. I checked with the original and there was a bit more - approx 15mm clearance. I am concerned there is not enought clearance between the downpipe and the gearbox support mount with regard to heat dissipation affecting it. Any advice?

Update to this: Transpired the first downpipe that I thought was from BM catalysts (bought through a third party) had been modified - bent out of the original shape - so I was on to a loser from the start. Purchase of another 'original unmolested' resulted in enough clearance. No further issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201129_161901.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	712.9 KB
ID:	24700  
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!

Last edited by strummagnet; 4th April 2022 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Issue resolved