View Single Post
Old 30th April 2021, 03:33 PM

I bought my old one when i was planning to take a career break to look after my then-baby son (he's 11 this weekend!). I'd been idly wondering what to get - we'd only had the 1 car for quite a while as most of my travel at the time was by train due to commuting to central London.

It was almost inevitably going to be something VAG (we had an a 2004 A6 Avant at the time, and had sold a Leon Cupra R, Passat 1.8T estate etc) and I was pretty convinced I wanted either an S4 or S6. Unfortunately most of the former had dodgy history and/or longlife servicing (if at all) and the latter were in very short supply due to the RS6 (which I couldn't afford and didn't want the theft risk of).

Eventually my idle work time was spent browsing for anything sub-£10k with a dirty big V8! The S8 popped up - at a posh dealer - with sensible price tag, low miles and lots of recent bills for recommissioning and a brand new set of Michelin boots on the 20s. Went down to Poole to test drive it and LOVED it! It was sat in a showroom with Bentleys and Astons and didn't look a bit out of place, despite being far older than anything else in there.

I figured I'd run it for 2-3 years and move it on - ended up keeping it far longer, but in the end I just needed something slightly more practical in the boot department, and I was finding it spending more and more time sat in the garage unused as it was easier to just grab the keys to the one I didn't have to use a decorator's extension to put into neutral before manually dragging it out of my single garage.......

I do regret selling it, as I know I'll never have the option of another one just like it, but for me it was a great experience that I'll always have fond memories of. If I did still have it, I'd have had problems from day 1 after moving house as my garage is too short for the D2

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC