View Single Post
Old 13th February 2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
What calculators are you all using for working out the ROI on equipment?

I found this and was rather alarmed by what it told me.
There are a lot of factors involved and it's too unpredictable. The calculator you linked does not seem to include coin price changes. Nobody knows what will happen but it's largely self regulating market, so if the difficulty goes up and it becomes more costly to mine, miners will raise the sale price. Things to worry about is if the current large amount holders flood the marked selling their coins but recent surveys indicate that sell off will only happen when BTC reaches $200k. Assuming that price does rise and you do not sell your all your coins they will be worth more in the future. Second is if the demand for BTC falls because most of the market shifts to something else and third if somebody releases much more efficient miner, the best currently seems to be Ebit E10.1 18Th at 1600W using 10nm chips so not much better than S9 http://miner.ebang.com.cn/goods-2.html. There is also worry that coin could fork to another algorithm but BTC developers seem pretty stubborn bunch so unlikely to happen.

I think it's important to diversify and spread your risks, I think LTC and L3+ have great potential in terms of usability, potential price rise and I think difficulty will rise slower than BTC at least until the price picks up. ETH and Dash also show great potential. It's too hard to say about other coin. I better end it here before I drift off in to many other coins.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure