View Single Post
Old 26th June 2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
How are you calculating your electricity usage and which card is that?

Certainly some cards are far more efficient at mining than others. If you're building a rig specifically for mining or it's a PC that wouldn't normally be on 24/7 you do need to take the rig 'overheads' (CPU, drives, etc) into account when calculating the running costs. If you can't make use of the heat generated or you want to get electricity usage down to a minimum, building a larger multi-card rig might make more sense. The rig overheads will be greater when mining with just a few cards.

Also, depending on which card you use, you can usually make some adjustments to improve efficiency. For example, with the AMD cards you use the supplied AMD utility 'Wattman' to reduce the GPU frequency by about 15-20%. This has no significant impact on mining performance yet reduces power consumption from about 160W to 100W per card. For comparison, I have a 2 card AMD rig (RX 480) that consumes about the same as yours (~£27 per month) but makes about £100-£150 per month.

I am calculating 7 hours at night rate and 17 hours of day rate per day of my current price.

Kaspersky is probably just triggering when NiceHash switches algorithms or makes new network connections. While it's best to experiment initially on an existing system, you'll have better results running the cards on a dedicated system without such aggressive antivirus/firewall software.
It's jut my old PC that I don't use anymore with GTX 760 and the CPU is is overclocked and overvolted so definitely some power savings to be had and more modern GPU would make it more cost effective as well.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 26th June 2017 at 10:01 PM.