View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
Actually had a caliper issue a couple of times, always the parking brake bit. I've taken it off and it separates and water gets in the back, and the helical gears get gunk and bind up. One side had a crack and i've patched over it with aluminium tape for water repair stuff. Cleaned and lubricated and then properly sealed it's been good for a couple of winters. Irritating as i rarely ever use the parking brake, as autos have engine brake etc!
So I removed the motor attachment from the caliper for now with a view to hopefully being able to repair it. I bought a cheaper one for a Passat - it is slightly different in that there is no cable coming out of it, rather it has a 2 pin plug. I was hoping to bas***dise it and somehow either use the components from within it or retrofit it in place of the original. The problem seems to be that the original caliper motor thingy for the A8 is much more dearer than these for the Passat model? Anyway that is a project for another day, in the meantime I have no EPB, but like you - I never use the damn thing anyway!

Quote:
The bagpipingandy kit, ebay £25. Did 3.5ys and just sorted it again. So long as the motor is good, it fixes most of them back to working saving hundreds!
Yeah luckily my piston was okay, it was just one of the brushes that had come loose, I managed to tie it back up with some thin copper wire, put the thing back together and hey presto it was fine!

Quote:
I had a bit of an issue there, rear seal leaks over time. A gearbox oil swap or actually just a top of up made a BIG difference. It's one you fill til it spills so you can't check, just top up from underneath. Changed from feeling changes and the the odd error, to smooth as anything and no issues for 2 years. Sure the seal could do with replacing, but, on taking two years to get a bit notchy on changes, i can live with it!
I did do some reading on this, and ideally I would like to give it a go with a top up. Any links to how this is done? I don't even know where to look under the engine for where this is to be fair! Was it easy enough to do? I must admit that this is the only other thing that isn't running smooth on my car. Any help would be greatly received.

Quote:

To be honest as "Budget" luxury cars, they're stunning value, they have been since my early D2 S8 because the market drops like a stone for 100k+ miles, 10yrs+ on a £70k car. Who buys them....perceived as too rich for families and company directors want new!
I couldn't agree more! these cars are amazing to own and given I paid £10.5k for mine in 2013 when it was 6 years old and had just under 100k on it with a full comprehensive dealer history, I'd say it was exactly that - a budget luxury car!