Thread: Gearbox Funk
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
They used bathroom silicone on their Audi? On a critical part like the trans sump!
It amazes me the cheap fixes some people do. Although in this case its not really a fix.
The exact opposite of a fix! They didn't have a new gasket, and had damaged the flange when taking it off - they appeared to have stabbed it with a screwdriver leaving a 2mm sprag of steel proud of the sealing side of the flange. In lieu of a gasket they liberally applied silicone sealant everywhere, bolted it back together and then re-filled it with red ATF. The ATF promptly dissolved the silicone, leaving a 2mm gap in the front so every time the brakes were applied a glug of ATF would fall out. The TC was howling by the time I got it home from Essex to Devon, and I only realised later on (ie in that thread) what damage had actually been done to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
There was a old thread on here, a lady called Amanda got a super strength torque converter from the USA for her RS6, which uses the same transmission as a D2 I think?

There's probably more info on audisrs and rs246 if you chose to go for an aftermarket torque converter.
I'll go looking for those thanks