View Single Post
Old 12th December 2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
And something I discovered recently while attempting to restore mine .... Did you know that the painted ones (the ones with the rubberised texture, commonly found in FE interiors, often finished in 'platin hell' or 'swing') actually have a wood finish beneath the paint?

It's like the painted version was an afterthought, something they thought would make the interior look more modern perhaps, so they took existing wood trim from stock and just painted over them.
Bizarre isn't it? I have a mixture of both - my grey S8's original black ones are black all the way down, but my red FE parts are vavona underneath!

C4r - an 'FE' is a Final Edition. They were special run-out models of the D2 and are perhaps the most sought after versions as they have extended leather interiors in some very bold colours for the early noughties - red, purple, aqua blue (puke), and silver-grey.

Platinum is a light grey - the FEs all had platinum dashboards and plastic parts. The factory designation for this was 'Platinhell' which translates to 'bright platinum'. Its a marmite (vegemite? ) colour. Personally I thought Hell was an appropriate nickname for it until I encountered swing...

Swing is a dull grey, a bit like storm clouds just before they rain on you. Having just bought one with a swing interior, it is actually worse than platinhell. It's got no character at all and just drains your will to live Mine will be going on the bonfire and get replaced with black. Black goes with everything.

I'm not even going to talk about aqua blue.

This is my custom red and black btw:

This was made from a red & platinum FE interior with all the platinum parts replaced with black. I'd love to do this treatment to a purple one too. You can see why I like your black and cream
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38184719_769951963357726_7235328771862036480_o.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	22550   Click image for larger version

Name:	38234429_769951880024401_484330757456658432_o.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	22551