View Single Post
Old 15th January 2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH77 View Post
It seems that the halogen projector lenses are exactly the same as the original HID projectors so in terms of beam pattern there isn't a problem. My spare headlights had factory HIDs and are the same. It's not like I'm sticking HIDs in a reflector lens which would just chuck light randomly all over the place. You can see that the pattern from the HIDs is nice and sharp and exactly where it needs to be.
However...

UK vehicle standards state that a car equipped with HID lighting must have headlamp washers and automatic beam levelling. The rules don't differentiate between reflector or projector housings - retrofits must also have both the extra features. DVSA were cracking down on this a while back, presumably to deal with reflector retrofits, but the same rules apply either way.

In reality though, it depends on the MoT tester. Quite a lot, when presented with a car giving an good accurate beam pattern, will just pass it even without washers and levelling. It takes a particular stickler to fail such a configuration.

My A6 has retrofitted genuine bixenon headlights, made to work with manual levelling control and no washers. That has confused a couple of testers in its time but as it all looks factory they always pass it anyway, assuming its just an oddity