View Single Post
Old 1st November 2019, 12:47 PM

This door misalignment is quite common - mostly back doors, but sometimes front. I'm not sure whether its simply metal fatigue as the body shell ages and begins to loosen up slightly, or whether the door skin takes a set from a slightly misaligned window frame, latch, or door seal.

The front corners, or top rear corner, of each door are fairly simple to align using the hinge, but this lower rear corner is really dependent on the other three and when it's out like this I think that's purely down to the shape of the door so one has to get a little physical with it...

I've done it on other (steel) Audis by stripping the door down and removing the frame and basically putting my knee against the lower corner and heaving outward on the top. That twists the door shell a tiny bit at a time, and by removing the catch its possible to close it without any force and see how it lines up. Once all four corners are lining up ok, put the catch back in and line that up so the door closes nicely. Then, put the window frame back in and line that up so it seals properly but isn't distorting the door.

Whether this will work on an aluminium D2 remains to be seen, but may well be discovered during my S8's winter downtime...