View Single Post
Old 7th January 2015, 09:55 AM

Cheers Sergey - is it inevitable that the seals are going to be broken, or am I likely to find they're intact on dismantling, in your experience?

Also wondering about the rubber gasket that goes around the outer edge of the headlight as that looks likely to be damaged from aging and/or removal process....also the rubber fitting on the wing end of the body coloured trim under the headlight.

I looked at alternatives to the stock bulbs some time ago and couldn't find anything that would get close to the colour of the xenon headlights and i wasn't keen on the exposed LED on a circuit board look since the bulbs are plainly visible. The bulbs I have fitted at the moment were supposedly special colour match jobbies (they have a blue tint to the glass) but they are just as yellow as the regular options!

These LEDs look and feel well made - I stuck one in a holder and prodded it through as far as I could and it looked infinitely better than the current bulb! Much brighter with a decent white light, as you'd expect.

Once I've got one headlight out I'm going to look at the opening in the reflector to see if I can drill/dremel it to accept the LED through the normal fitting route, in case one does fail, or if I will have to live with the potential need to strip the headlight again to access them. The 'reflector' for the sidelight looks like a bit of ally plate and isn't anodised or shiny in any way so I think is intended to just stop light scatter?

I've attached a size comparison of the bulbs

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC