View Single Post
Old 13th October 2017, 06:53 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

We realised that too about the PSUs after we bought them but I'm glad we bought one per machine now since it means we can run them in separate locations if necessary. They're a good powerful PSU too, which I can probably use or sell later when it eventually becomes no longer profitable to mine.

I've actually just powered up our 3rd L3+ this evening. We were running out of places to put them at my customer's premises so I called there today and brought it home. My customer unboxed and plugged in the other 2 units, so this is the first time I've actually seen one in the flesh. It seems noticeably quieter than my S9 (which is still at my customer's premises). The L3+ isn't much louder than my GPU rigs. Unlike the S9 it's a less distracting steady fan noise too; the S9's fans make an almost 'breathing' type of noise, continuously changing speed (presumably in relation to load/work fluctuations).

I have noticed there's quite a difference in hardware errors between the 3 L3+ machines we have, even before overclocking. The 3rd machine seems the best of the bunch, which was also the last to arrive and is probably from the same batch as yours. It arrived with f/w version 1.0.1.3 pre-installed, unlike the other 2 which had 1.0.1.2. Even with the latest firmware installed, the first 2 are a bit temperamental. One of them in particular can take several reboots before it recognises all the ASIC chips properly. It seems to just be a management software/hardware issue though since the hashing rate and profitability is still correct, even when an entire hashing board is missing from the status screen.

My S9 is still going strong. It makes about 1mBTC per day less than the L3+ miners do though (and it costs more to run), so if I were to buy another S9 now it would have to be at the right price.

I think overall the L3+ miners are the best buy right now. I may consider buying a few more of them if they're still as profitable (and available) in a couple of months time.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust