View Single Post
Old 18th August 2019, 03:33 PM

Default Sunday Drive and then all the coolant falls out

Afternoon all,

Well after fixing the battery in the S8 and going for a drive I was just thinking to myself what an excellent car the S8 is.

Then....

Temp gauge went to the right and red low coolant warning came on the dash!

Ahhhhh and it was all going to well.

Not far from home luckily so got the old girl back and plenty of steam on the right side of the engine (passenger side where the expansion tank is). Clearly leaking, dripping out onto the drive and the expansion tank was empty. Topped it up, drove round the block and it helpfully emptied itself again.

Steam from the right again and plenty of coolant dropping onto the undertray. No leaks from the expansion tank or the pipes in and out of it. Looking more into it I can see drips and steam coming from what looks like below the exhaust manifold so not sure if its there or dropping from a pipe higher up. Though cannot see it that well as its a little crowded in that part of the engine so need to get it up on ramps and take the undertray off. I have had a small leak for ages but this looks like something has just decided to let go, I was thinking oil cooler pipe but from memory that's on the other side of the engine.

That can be next weekends fun job!
2002 Audi D2 2.8 A8 QS - Audi Silver
--

Last edited by Nognar; 18th August 2019 at 04:10 PM.