View Single Post
Old 17th February 2021, 10:18 AM

Just realised that I never wrapped this one up and thanked people for their input! So thanks folks and this is what I did:
In the end (late 2019) I bought a Drayton Wiser system, not least because there was a very good discount on offer via Amazon and we had Prime (free) at the time - pre-Xmas buying spree.

Strangely the existing Drayton backplate didn't actually fit the new controller, subtle differences that I don't understand the reason for. But swapping it for the new one (in the box) was a 2-minute job as the wiring was identical.
I've actually mounted the original backplate on a small piece of wood with a mains lead and have the old controller sitting in a quiet corner powered up and ticking over as emergency backup that can be installed in minutes.

It works fine and I've programmed it so that hot water is always on when heating may be required. That also requires disabling some of the cleverer/predictive options in the management but I don't want them anyway.
It gets information on the weather forecasts and seems to interpret that reasonably well to manage the heating more effectively than our simple wall thermostat ever did.
I don't know if we actually save money, but we don't get the "overshoots" that the old system used to produce with hot radiators continuing to warm the house up long after the thermostat said it was at the target temperature. The downside is that it can sometimes seem to take longer to warm up (than it used to) as it's managing the heat input to reach a target, but then I can always easily raise the target temporarily.....

And locating the (wireless) thermostat in a sheltered corner (well away from radiators and draughts) of our lounge works so much better than in the hallway next to the kitchen door with the oven behind the wall!

There's also remote access via an iPhone App so we can turn it back up when about to return from being away - at least that facility is there but I don't seem to have had much use for it...…..
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!