View Single Post
Old 11th April 2019, 10:12 AM

I would really like to see someone do a LS into a D2 conversion, keeping the 01E or perhaps with the newer better 0A3 from B7. The torque is the fun part. I can tell you the stock D2 with a manual trans lacks low down torque in some gears, especially 2nd gear. In normal driving you want to change from 1st to 2nd around 2000rpm or less, then 2nd drops to around 1000rpm which is a bit low for decent torque.
Less weight also = better performance, and its interesting that LS3 weighs less than a AVP engine, so by converting it you are saving weight up front too.
Although the engine may be even more forward than stock.

People have swapped LS engines into all sorts of cars, Porsches, MX5s, BMWs, Nissans, etc. It seems to be one of the most popular engine swaps. It must be for good reasons, light weight, small pushrod engine package size, very good hp and torque. Simplicity, reliability.
Porsche swaps especially tell me something about the quality of these engines, Porsche is still quite a premium brand, for guys to be happy to swap a 'crude' pushrod engine into older Porsches is really saying something about the reliability of older Porsche engines vs the LS engines.

Although pricey, some of those Katech LS3 engines put out nearly as much torque and HP as a C5 RS6 twin turbo 4.2 for much less weight and complication.

Last edited by Goran; 11th April 2019 at 10:35 AM.