View Single Post
Old 9th April 2018, 12:36 PM

I'm watching you John with concern.
I'm due to replace my front pads and was planning on ECP (five minute walk from ours) but now

Some of you will remember me having to park up during one of last year's annual meet convoy runs with a brake(?) problem. A stone had flicked up the inside of my front offside wheel, and bent the bracket up and inwards towards the car. The bracket is the one that supports the brake pipes and the pad wear sensor cable. In their infinite "we know best" wisdom Audi have made the sensor cable a smidgen too short which leaves it under constant tension. This is known to stretch the copper inside the insulation and can cause it to snap. It also puts undue tension on the plug/socket on the bracket and in my case this was the problem. Luckily cleared it by bending(?) the bracket straighter(?) so it more or less resembled the nearside bracket.
This appeared to work until last week "Brake Pads Worn" signals started again.I've looked and the offside is good. I opened the plug/socket and put a short across the socket, still had the problem. Went to nearside and that bracket had bent out of shape slightly. The tension on the sensor wire was extreme. Reshaped the bracket, problem still there. Split the plug/socket, shorted the socket pins, problem solved. Finally managed to clear the problem by giving the plug/socket internals a WD40 bath.
Now runnig good until something else pops up inside the wheel arch.
I suggest that whenever you have your front wheels off that you look at releaving the tension on the sensor wires.
Perhaps we could start a class action against Audi????
We want more wire

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)

Last edited by tc4332; 9th April 2018 at 12:39 PM.