View Single Post
Old 15th May 2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Some heinous bodging has been going on there
I know. Eventually I want to take care of the items that needs attention.

Quote:
Fairly normal these days. You can buy square nuts which fit in to the slots in the airbox (can't remember if M5 or M6), and if you look at motorcycle suppliers you can often find black anodised bolts which, while having different heads, at least look nice in the engine bay.
I will take care of this later down the road.

Quote:
There should be a plastic trim panel which fills in that area - 4D0806584D01C. The stump in the bracket is the remains of one of the screws which hold it in place (M6x45). It is pretty standard for it to rust in to the rivnut under the bracket and then people tend to drill it off (or destroy the cover) when they have to get to the air filter.
I do have the trim panels.

Quote:
I've shown repairing this in some of the WITW threads although I can't remember which ones. Basically grind it flat, drill it out, drill out the rivnut and replace it with a new one. Sometimes the rivnut is recoverable by grabbing the stump with vice grips, winding the stump of the screw down, cutting off the rusty stump underneath, and then winding it out again. A little heat on the rivnut can help, although obviously be aware of all the flammable and melty things in that area.
I'll take a look through some of your WITW threads when I get time to.

Quote:
I put the relay in the car and just run power wires to the fan down the left hand side with all the original fan wiring, but given that yours is already installed, there's plenty of room underneath the air filter box to mount that, and a convenient bracket which holds the corner of the car together.
I will mount this somewhere else to give it a cleaner look.

Quote:
Looks similar to the Spal that I use although a different mounting arrangement
The electric fan that was installed is a Spal fan.

Quote:
44188136701C
Thanks.

Quote:
The right one doesn't do anything in a V8. Its for one of the other models
Ah, ok. I'll leave the right one alone.

Quote:
The white one
Thanks.

My mods: Oxblood red interior, LED interior lights, D3 ignition coils, new window tint, tip steering wheel with new S8 emblem, mk1 TT steering wheel air bag, mk1 TT 6 speed shift knob, new shift boot.

Last edited by Audifan; 15th May 2022 at 02:25 PM.