View Single Post
Old 30th December 2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
… make from the now 4 PCV valves I have in various states of originality and repair. Probably 2 and some spare bits.
Actually 2 and all the spare bits got binned. So I now have a fully-working PCV back on my car and a reasonably good spare.

Lessons learned from buying cheap clones that are inevitably not as accurately made as OEM:
1. They can arrive with components missing or broken.
2. The main diaphragm is "bulkier" around the edge.
3. The "bottom" section (with two pipes) is a very bad fit.
4. The "top" section isn't that accurate either.....

The solutions to these are:
1. Buy from sources with some buyer protection and get them replaced.
2. When fitting push it very firmly into the channel all round; I used the handle end of a teaspoon. I had trimmed one old diaphragm but eventually found that wasn't needed as the problem was really #3!
3. Reuse the old moulding if at all possible, I did and eventually binned both the new ones. It might be possible to trim them but I didn't work out where.
4. You might need to trim very slightly to enlarge the holes that the clips engage into. Do a test fit and look carefully at the alignment. I also used a small hammer to tap the clips firmly shut.

Final question for the experts. When swapping over this afternoon I had previously run the engine at idle long enough to warm up while doing other tasks, then left it briefly, though the engine was still quite warm. The PCV I took off had some condensation inside it, is that normal?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!