View Single Post
Old 27th December 2015, 10:21 AM

Default How adaptive is adaptive?

I haven't spent much time in a LED headlight equipped car of your vintage, however I own a similar aged D4 with adaptive xenon's and have spent several months in a 2015 with matrix LED, both of which adapt in slightly different ways.

Looking at the SSP459 document in this post it seems that the first generation LED's may have less variance of beam pattern than the 'Xenon plus with adaptive headlights and "infinitely variable beam"' my car is fitted with, which sound very similar to your BMW experience?

Have a read of the document, it may help you to understand if they are actually working as designed or not?

The second generation of LED headlights, with matrix beam technology had pro's and cons. The big positive is it's ability to dim sections of the headlight in the centre of a beam spread (which can't be achieved with the Xenon's), the down side is that the light had a jagged or fresnel effect where the beams meet, I found that a little distracting at times and it was more pronounced with full beam on.

One final thing, in both cars you have to activate the adaptive functions - single push on the full beam leaver (away from steering wheel) activates the "adaptive headlight range control" and a second and subsequent push toggles full beam on and off?