View Single Post
Old 18th March 2019, 07:44 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Interesting thread this one: what are the likely long term environmental damages for more than 20,000 years from solar that you're thinking of Mark? Or extending that slightly, I'd also be interested in the same likely potential long term damages from other renewables - e.g. wind and wave. They're not obvious to me.
If you watch the TED talk I posted, he puts forward a very credible argument about the damaging effects of renewables. I'm not saying that I fully agree with his point of view (I would need to do some research first); I was just posting the talk because I think he makes some plausible points that are worth discussing here. I'm completely open to any counter-information that invalidates his claims.

What he says does make a lot of sense I think though. When you consider the vast amount of land, materials, manufacturing energy, transportation, hazardous materials, etc, etc that would be required to produce sufficient wind and solar generation units to power the entire planet, there will certainly be a price to pay, especially when you consider that those type of renewable energy sources produce miniscule amount of power relative to their size.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 18th March 2019 at 07:50 PM.