View Single Post
Old 13th February 2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
Are you not going to use some sort of pump for draining and flushing, I thought this was pretty much mandatory to get the job done correctly?

I've spoken to several auto box repairers and also to my mate who was head of MB workshops in Glasgow at great length about this subject. The correct way is to use expensive equipment that very few garages have and drain everything away. This special pump is not available in Scotland that I'm aware of, even MB do not have one. The method MB use is as I've described above, and with two or three flushes should have 90% of the fluid changed. Another method which an auto box repairer said would work was to drain the sump and crack open the pipe to the gearbox cooler then start the engine for a few seconds to empty the TC, but when I mentioned this to my mate he said that MB stopped that method as it was not recommended.

Also from my investigations on this subject it seems the first ATF change is the most important as it removes the worst of the contamination, subsequent changes as not as important. My plan, as is with all my auto boxes is to change the oil and filter then when servicing the car in the future change the oil in the sump, that way it is allowing some fresh oil into the system every 12k-15k

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro